I have had asthma my whole life. Can I get a prescription that never expires for albuterol or do I have to see a doctor every time mine runs expires?

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the lungs.
The symptoms of asthma can vary over time and consequently will require adjustments of one's medications as appropriate. Standard medical care would not support a prescription for any medication that would never expire nor ever require a visit to physician again.

In brief: No

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: NO

Prescriptions are usually only valid for 1 year. If your asthma is in control, you should not need more than 2 inhalers per year. If you need more, then your asthma is out of control & you need to step your control medication.
Discuss this with your doctor. If your doctor cannot get you the right medicine to keep you under control, you need to see an asthma specialist: allergist or pulmonologist.

In brief: NO

Dr. Arthur Torre
Dr. Arthur Torre
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: No...

Doctors are not allowed to give "life-long" prescriptions because it is a good idea to be seen regularly so the doctor can adjust your therapy, if needed.
You may not recognize symptoms that call for an adjustment in therapy. Hopefully, your doctor will!

In brief: No...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Shontae Buffington