I don't have allergies but I do have allergy like reaction (including nasal congestion) to dust, smoke, scents, etc. Did that cause my dark circles?

Non Allergic Rhiniti. Rhinitis is the condition that causes nasal congestion, sneezing, itchy nose, and a runny nose. It can be caused by allergies or not caused by allergies -- this is called non allergic rhinitis (nar). Nar is caused by strong odors perfumes, smoke and other irritants. I would challenge the statement that allergy testing is too cumbersome, costly and painful to perfume.
It could.. If you're referring to under eye circles, they are commonly associated with allergies. Unfortunately, they're fairly non specific and could be related to other causes, as well. If they're painful or accompany blurred vision, you need to see a doctor in person for further evaluation.
Could Be. Dark circles under your eyes could be part of what we call "allergic facies". If your continuously exposed to things like smoke and dust, and believe they are causing your symptoms, you may want to try an otc antihistamine like Claritin (loratadine) daily for a few weeks. If not effective you should see your doctor for other options. A mask is a good idea also if your exposed to dust and smoke a lot.
Yes. Allergy testing is one way to find out but I found allergy testing to be cumbersome and expensive, best way will be to talk to a good internist.