What do they give a vasodilator to a person suffering from heart attack/ stroke?

Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Best not

To drop blood pressure during stroke as it can cause more damage to the brain.
In my practice high blood pressure is treated during an acute stroke only if it is above 200 mmhg systolic ( top number ) or if patient has bleeding associated with the stroke.

In brief: Best not

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Mark Rasak
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Several reasons

Obviously if a pt is having a stroke or mi and the blood pressure is very high vasodilators will lower the blood pressure .
Also pts with a weak heart and heartfailure may benefit from lowering peripheral resistance and augmenting cardiac out put.

In brief: Several reasons

Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Peter Kurzweil