Why is sclerotherapy not recommended for obese people with varicose veins?

Misinformation. Sometimes, obese people need higher concentrations of the chemical that is injected into the vein (we call that the sclerosant). Sometimes obesity can cause a person to need more treatments thatn non-obese people would need, but obesity isn't a reason for nor treat people with sclerotherapy for their varicose veins.
Not necessarily. Sclerotherapy of varicose veins can be used on thin or obese patients. While there are indeed situations or medical conditions where sclerotherapy might not be advised, obesity alone does not exclude a patient from consideration for sclerotherapy.
Incorrect Advice. If you were told this, you were incorrectly informed. Obesity is not a reason to be excluded from varicose vein sclerotherapy. I hand performed hundreds of sclerotherapy session on obese individuals with excellent results. Although there can be certain contraindications for sclerotherapy, being obese or overweight is not one of the exclusion criteria. Get 2nd opinion from a vascular surgeon.
Use varies. In my practice, obesity in and of itself is not an absolute contraindication to sclerotherapy. Patients must be able to walk well and to wear compression stockings, as these are advised after treatment. They must be in reasonable health, without infection in the areas to be treated, and without any blood clots, or significant swelling.
Sclerotherapy can be. Used in obese patients, usually with good results. Compression after treatment is a critical part of sclerotherapy and it can sometimes be challenging to get adequate, consistent compression in obese patients, particularly if morbidly obese. This may mean more sessions or perhaps an increased risk for pigmentation and other complications. Consult with an experienced phlebologist.