What anesthetic are you put under for cataract surgery?

Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology
In brief: Mild
Usually mild conscious sedation.
Using one or a combination of fentanyl or versed.

In brief: Mild
Usually mild conscious sedation.
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Local anesthesia
Cataract surgery is almost always done with the patient awake.
The ophthalmologist will put anesthetic eye drops in the eye, and sometimes may do an injection for a retrobulbar nerve block. The anesthesiologist may give some mild sedation to help the person relax and lie still comfortably. General anesthesia, or being put under, is not necessary for cataract surgery.

In brief: Local anesthesia
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Anesthesia
Most surgeons utilize conscious sedation with a combination of medications for cataract surgery.
I perform 99% of my cataract surgeries with topical anesthesia and versed intravenously.

In brief: Anesthesia
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley