My kidney function shows a low estimated GFR level. What should I do?

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: See below

You should consult with a nephrologist to try and determine the cause.
Low GFR means loss of kidneys ability to remove waste from the body, and there are many causes and possibility of reversibility or management of preventing further decrease in fucntion is important.

In brief: See below

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Alpesh Jethva

In brief: See a specialist

A low GFR usually indicates decreased kidney function.
This may be a normal part of aging as we all lose some kidney function over time. The treatment and evaluation of someone with a low GFR depends on the stage of kidney failure (which is determined by the gfr) and other risk factors (diabetes, hypertention, etc). If the GFR is low (less than 60), i would recommend seeing a kidney specialist.

In brief: See a specialist

Dr. Alpesh Jethva
Dr. Alpesh Jethva
Dr. Adam Smith