How can I avoid varicose veins?

Dr. Rodeen Rahbar
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Lifestyle can help

Anything that reduces stress on the vein valves will keep them from wearing out.
Exercise is great - walk all the time and take the stairs. Avoid sitting with feet down for long periods of time or standing. If you have a job that requires sitting or standing (like me), invest in 20-30 mm medical grade compression stockings and wear them! you can't change genetics, but you can choose your lifestyle.

In brief: Lifestyle can help

Dr. Rodeen Rahbar
Dr. Rodeen Rahbar
Dr. Joel Gotvald
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Usually genetic

Since varicose veins are usually a genetically inherited disease of vein valves, they usually cannot be prevented.
If you inherit the condition, you may be able to slow the progression of the disease by wearing compression stockings on a daily basis. Factors that tend to worsen varicose vein disease include being overweight, pregnancy, trauma or inflammation of legs, & blood clots. Stay active.

In brief: Usually genetic

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Dr. Joel Gotvald
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Risk factors

Can be improved. See varicose veins at womenshealth.
Gov for good info.

In brief: Risk factors

Gov for good info.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Steven Zimmet
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: Difficult to prevent

Preventive measures include staying fit, good aerobic activity and wearing stockings.
It may also be wise to avoid hot baths. The main predisposing factor is genetic predisposition. Other common causes include pregnancies, injuries, prolonged standing, blood clots, and aging.

In brief: Difficult to prevent

Dr. Steven Zimmet
Dr. Steven Zimmet