What really works to alleviate anxiety and panic disorder?

See below... Psychotherapy with or without meds. Also look into emotional freedom technique/tapping (www. Eftuniverse.Com). Get into psychotherapy; engage wholeheartedly & openly in the process & stick to it. You'll be so glad u did! wishing u well...
Face Your Fears. Facing one's fears head on is called desensitization or habituation therapy. You need to face your fears until you have a panic attack and then, do not do anything to try and make the anxiety go away. Allow the anxiety to wash over your body and you will eventually set yourself free from the anxiety.
Psychotherapy ASAP. Consult with a psychotherapist for cognitive behavioral treatment. If symptoms are moderate to severe, he/she will refer you to a psychiatrist for medication. The condition is generally not too difficult to treat, especially if it is addressed sooner rather than later.