Macular degeneration--is it always in old people?

See below. Age-related macular degeneration (amd) only occurs in adults after one's forties. Diseases that may look like amd but happen earlier include macular dystrophy, best's disease, stargardt disease, among others. See a retina specialist.
Old? Depends on what you mean by old. Macular degeneration is a condition that happens with the aging process, so every day that you live you are older. Macular degeneration is usually first seen after age 60, but can be sooner. I runs in families (genetic). I believe is all humans live to be 200 years of age we all with have some degree of macular degeneration.