With high blood pressure and type 1 diabetes is there a particular BP medication that would be better than others?

Blood pressure. Blood pressure is extremely complex and different patients respond differently to different antihypertensives. However, patients with diabetes and high blood pressure should be on an ace inhibitor or arb for blood pressure control and kidney protection.
Yes. People with type 1 diabetes are at risk for kidney failure, and meds in the ace inhibitor class (generic names end in -pril) or arb class (generic names end in -sartan) have been shown to provide more protection to the kidneys.