Does lack of blinking cause any problems?

Dr. Andrew Ho
In brief: Dry eyes
Blinking wets the front of the eye, which is dried by contact with air.

In brief: Dry eyes
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Lack of blinking
Lack of blinking can cause dry eye and eye irritation.
I would try artificial tears frequently during the day, ointment at night, warm compresses 1-2 times a day, and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. If no improvement, see an eye doctor.

In brief: Lack of blinking
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology
Lack of blinking can cause the tears to break down as the layers of the tears can separate between blinks.
Usually we blink about every 5- 6 seconds or 10-12 times a minute. Any less than that and the tears cannot do their job of keeping the ocular surface smooth.

Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Keegan Duchicela