Tell me about intraocular lens implants (monovision)?

Dr. Val Zudans
Ophthalmology

In brief: Monovision IOLs

Monovision (one eye distance focus, one eye near) is a common method to correct presbyopia (loss of reading vision over age 40).
The + is an increased independence from glasses. The - is a loss of depth perception and potential imbalance. A trial of monovision with contact lenses is recommended before surgical correction (cataract lens implants or laser vision correction).

In brief: Monovision IOLs

Dr. Val Zudans
Dr. Val Zudans
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Lens implants

There are many different types of lens implants; mono-focal (single distance lens), multifocat lens (one lens that does both far and near), accomodative lens (lens that flexes and gives both far and near).
From what I am aware the most common would be both eyes recieving a mono-focal with both focused for distance (will need glasses for near vision). Mono-vision is one near and one far.

In brief: Lens implants

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Arnon Rubin