Is weight gain normal on low dose birth control pills?

No more than 2-3 lbs. Typically long term weight gain is not associated with low dose birth control pills. Upon starting a new pill there may be temporary fluid retention resulting in a 2-3 lb weight gain throught the first 2 to 3 packs of pills. This usually abates with long term use.
Yes. Many women and their clinicians believe that oral contraceptives cause weight gain. However, available data suggest that this is not the case.In a systematic review of 44 trials (only 3 of which had a placebo group), there was no evidence to support a causal relationship between combination ocp use and weight gain. That being said, available data may not be capturing the effect of ocps on weight.