Has anyone with dry eye had eye lid surgery before?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

Depends on type of eyelid surgery.
Sometimes the eyelid needs to be repaired to reduce dry eye such as ectropion/entropion repair, and sometimes dry eye is a known complication of eyelid surgery such as blepharoplasty or ptosis repair. Should figure out severity of dry eye at baseline and risks/benefits based on type of eyelid surgery.

Depends on type of eyelid surgery.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. George Yang
Ophthalmology

I tend to be more conservative in this situation.
If your eyes are already dry at your age, the biggest concern is that it will get worse as you get older. Assuming we are talking about cosmetic eyelid surgery, you will increase your risk for dryness due to evaporation. If the eyelid is causing the dry eye, such as in an ectropion, then get the surgery done as soon as possible to fix it.

Dr. George Yang
Dr. George Yang
Dr. Val Zudans
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dry eye bleph

It is important to address dry eye prior to eyelid surgery because there often is increased evaporation of tears after. I routinely perform a schirmer test (5 minute tear production) before blepharoplasty.
I will treat with punctal plugs any patient with less than 10mm of tears. Omega 3s are useful in the long run, but can not be used immediately prior to eyelid surgery due to bleeding risk.

In brief: Dry eye bleph

Dr. Val Zudans
Dr. Val Zudans