What happens when you have diabetic retinopathy once and get it again?

Retina damage. It is rare for diabetic retinopathy to go away completely once it has been diagnosed. Treatment of the retina with laser or medications, in addition to good blood sugar and blood pressure control, can stabilize the disease process. Worsening of diabetic retinopathy is usually an indication of poor systemic control of the diabetes, and can lead to damage of retinal tissue and vision loss.
IT NEVER WENT AWAY. To begin with. Once you develop it, its there for the long run.