How does sun affect need for cataract surgery?

Increases risk. Cataracts (a white lens change): most often due to/made worse by (most common first): aging, genetics predisposition, excessive sun exposure, smoking, diabetes, steroid medication, previous trauma, inflammation, infection in the eye causing inflammation; previous intraocular eye surgery; other genetic conditions; can be congenital; more info: eyedoc2020@blogspot.com.
EXCESS SUN WITH. Lack of protection does speed the aging of your eye lenses.
Doesn't much. High exposure to uv sunlight has been shown to accelerate the development of cataracts. Cataracts are mostly (95% +) from the aging process and genetics.