Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is permanent once a person has it?

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Real biological

Adhd persists into adulthood 65% of the time.
Hundreds of studies have proven it to be a neurobiological disorder with a genetic and neurotoxic basis. It is not a conglomeration of symptoms. See my health hints and health files for further information.

In brief: Real biological

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Glen Elliott
It does change with time, however, with less hyperactivity and more problems with planning and continued issues with focus. And, some people may "outgrow" it, or at least develop coping mechanisms that minimize impairment from the symptoms.

In brief: Define permanent

I agree with Dr.Enriquez.
About a 3rd of kids grew out of most of the associated symptoms by their teen years.Another 3rd hated meds and adapted to any residual problems, preferring to live with it.Another 3rd functioned better in late teens and as adults when treated. I know of several affected physicians, some treated and some not.

In brief: Define permanent

I agree with Dr.Enriquez.