My 2 month old has clogged tear ducts in both eyes. What can I do to help her? Her eyes are always very crusted after she cries.

Dr. Terri Graham

In brief: Clogged tear ducts

Lacrimal duct massage is a technique that your provider can walk you through.
This is common for babies and requires frequent consistent firm pressure from the tear duct along side the nose towards the nasal opening. This may require massage several times a day for several months. Warm compresses can assist in your efforts in addition to the massage. Good luck!

In brief: Clogged tear ducts

Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Thomas Rohde
General Practice

In brief: Gentle massage

Gently massage the tear ducts with the pads of your index finger with a gentle up and down motion with each diapering.
Make sure your nail is trimmed short to avoid injury to your daughter. Most of these resolve within the first year, only rarely do they need further treatment.

In brief: Gentle massage

Dr. Thomas Rohde
Dr. Thomas Rohde
Dr. Jonathan Jassey