I think mom has depression, what signs can I look for? Shes very difficult to talk to so how can I help her without a professional around?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Care and Concern

It is sometimes hard to talk to family members about feelings and emotions.
I would encourage you to be patient for a time when things are relatively peaceful and calm. Then, just share your conncerns in a simple and gentle way. Remember, you cannot be responsible for how your mother reacts - just stay focused on showing her that you care about her and want to suport her.

In brief: Care and Concern

Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
This is very good advice. Ultimately, no person can assume responsibility for another person's life-decisions.
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: See symptoms below

Depression can cause lethargy or irritability, lack of appetite or increased eating, too little or too much sleep, lack of interest in usual activities, feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness.
Feelings of guilt, and sometimes thoughts of death or suicide. Even if there are no mental health professionals in your area, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by her doctor.

In brief: See symptoms below

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Peter Jackson
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depression in older

Older people often times show different symptoms of depression than in younger adults.
Look for signs of memory impairment, fatigue, sleep problems, and signs of confusion. If she is difficult to talk to perhaps find a supportive friend that she can easily talk to about how she is getting along may help. Her primary physician also may be able to help if you authorized to speak to them.

In brief: Depression in older

Dr. Peter Jackson
Dr. Peter Jackson
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Depression

Your actions are your best advice.
Is easier to work on your attributes and good deeds. You need to help yourself first. It may not be easy, but you have to. Words are hard to intepret. Give her advice only when your mom ask. Don't promise things (i.E, ill be there when you need me), instead develop a routine of when to visit, work, spend time with her or other people. U'll be there for her.

In brief: Depression

Your actions are your best advice.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY