How can I determine whether I have addison's disease?

Dr. Al Hegab
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Consult your Doctor

Symptoms of addison's disease could be misleading, especially in early stages of the disease, symptoms are in common with other endocrine diseases, at any rate rapid acth stimulation test would be performed, but generally after the primary md takes history, performs physical exam before deemed necessary to see a specialist, still addison's disease is uncommon.

In brief: Consult your Doctor

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Giuseppe Barbesino
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Addison's test

The best test for addison's disease (ad) is the acth stimulation test.
After a blood test for cortisol, an injection of acth is given and the cortisol is drawn again in an hour. If the cortisol does not reach a certain level, then you have adrenal insufficiency (ai). Ad is one possible cause of ai. Measuring your own acth is also a good test for ad but not for other forms of ai.

In brief: Addison's test

Dr. Giuseppe Barbesino
Dr. Giuseppe Barbesino