Why do I get so aggravated and grumpy when I take my pain meds? I am going to be on opiates for chronic pain forever. Is there anything I can do?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Not uncommon
Many people on opioids complain of being grumpy.
This is more due to the pain than to the medication. You may find that by taking long acting (sustained reiease) medication that your pain is better controlled with fewer highs and lows.

In brief: Not uncommon
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. James Marx
Also consider evaluation for depression or anxiety/depression. As an additional benefit some of the antidepressants help considerably reduce the amount of "felt" pain.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Chronic opiod Rx bad
For most people opoid therapy is fraught with issues:\dependency, lethargy, personality changes, low testosterone (hypogondism) in males.
There are many alternatives, including gabapentin, lyrica, savella, (milnacipran) and cymbalta. These last three are pricey. And your pain mechanism should be known. I believe eveery one should try a good NSAID at full strength. There are patients who need opiod rx, but few!

In brief: Chronic opiod Rx bad
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey