I had a total hysterectomy. Do I still have a cervex?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Terminology

Hysterectomy is removal of the uterus and the cervix generally.
On rare occasions an obgyn cannot remove the lowest part of the uterus and performs a supracervical hysterectomy. If the ovaries and tubes are removed abdominally along with the uterus, the procedure is called a tahbso (total abdominal hysterectomy bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy).

In brief: Terminology

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder

In brief: No

If in doubt, check with your doctor or just get a copy of your pathology report.
Some surgeons do perform supra cervical hysterectomy - leaving the cervix in place.

In brief: No

Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery