If I have a cold sore does that mean I have herpes ?

Dr. Ronda Alexander
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

Cold sore is just one of the terms people apply to the manifestations of herpesvirus around the mouth.
You can take preventive medication if they happen uncomforably often and there are topical meds to use when one breaks out. Make sure to take good care of your overall health and be considerate of your partner if s/he doesn't have it. It's a really common virus.

Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury

In brief: Possibly

Cold sores are recurrent ulcers which are caused by herpes virus 1.
This is not an std but it can cause recurrent symptoms and be transmitted to other people. Sores in the mouth can the result of other causes such as vitamin deficiency or other viral infections. Your doctor will be able to check for possible causes.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Vicken Poochikian