Is prk preferred over lasik?

Depends. The outcomes at 3 months and beyond are essentially equivalent between the two. Prk is used over lasik in a number of situations, such as risk of contact sports, occupation, thin corneas, irregular steepness on topography, or surgeon/patient preference.
Prk vs lasik. There was a conference where ophthalmologists were first asked which procedure they performed most; 90% said lasik. When asked what they would have if they were to have one, 90% said prk. I tell patients this story. 90% of surgical complications are flap related (lasik). And, #1 postop issue is dry eye (more common w lasik than prk). There is more pain and slow recovery but I would have prk.
Sometimes. Prk is sometimes preferred to lasik especially if thin corneas, higher correction, dry eye, mild corneal irregularity or scars, etc.
PRK LASIK LASEK. Prk is an archaic procedure, in my opinion, I performed my last prk in 1999. It's good as it is always slighly safer than lasik, and can be used safely when lasik cannot be, like in the situations mentioned by tal. Lasek is the more advanced form or prk, with the same slight safety advantage over lasik but without the pain and delayed healing and scarring that can occur in prk.