Blunt/penetrating trauma to the thorax? Flail chest? What do these terms mean?

Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: I agree
I agree with the other definitions above, but to be more specific, a flail chest is defined as three or more consecutive segmental rib fractures.
This means the ribs are broken in two or more spots.

In brief: I agree
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
In brief: See below
Blunt trauma is an accident from direct injury such as car accident, or heavy item striking a person.
Penetrating trauma would be from a sharp item such as knife or fast item such as a bullet entering a person. Flail chest is several ribs fractured in multiple places on one side of the chest resulting in paradoxical chest wall movement, and inability of the lung to expand properly.

In brief: See below
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology