How is a chest tube put in?

Depends. There are 2 ways. the easiest way is to place it over a wire that's inserted through a needle. These work for almost every type of problem that requires a chest tube. The other way, is to make an incision, dissect down to the ribs and puncture the pleura and place the tube through the hole. This is much more involved and painful.
Through the ribs. . A chest tube is inserted by making a small incision on the side of the chest, usually along the same level as the nipple, and bluntly penetrating into the chest cavity over one of the ribs. This is done using a blunt instrument. Once the tract into the chest is created, the tube is inserted and tied in place. It is then attached to a canister that will drain the fluid or air from the chest cavity.