Is it possible to have croup at 8 yrs?

The resonant honk or croup sound can be a feature of several upper airway problems that are similar to traditional croup.
It does happen occasionally in older kids.I remember one dramatic case that affected the 8yo child of one of my supervising residents during residency. I recall he had a deeper respect for the illness after the event.A proper exam is needed for proper dx.

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
Some children have croup for several years.
Most croup is between 6 months and 3 years.It is thought that some children who suffer recurrent bouts of spasmodic croup have a primarily allergic rather than infective etiology. Rarely recurrence can be related congenital narrowing of airway that offers no problem when well but occurs with superimposed upper resp infection.

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Jonathan Jassey