Is a referral to an immunologist necessary after suffering anaphylactic shock?

Helpful... It would be helpful to see an immunologist after an episode of anaphylaxis to determine the allergen responsible, if possible, so that the allergen can be avoided, if possible. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening so any and all steps to reduce the possibility of a recurrent episode should be taken.
Anaphylaxis. Yes, you should see an allergist/immunologist if you have had an anaphylactic reaction. We will try to confirm/diagnose the cause of your reaction and teach you how to avoid putting yourself at risk in the future, as well as offer you immunotherapy, if it is available for your allergy (eg insect stings). We will make sure you know how to use your epipen, (epinephrine) when to carry it, and educate your family.