Can herpes zoster vaccine be given to an elderly with active zoster?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No

No, someone with active zoster will not benefit from the herpes zoster vaccine, which is used for prevention, not treatment.

In brief: No

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Zoster vaccine usage

Zoster vaccine (Zostavax) has the greatest utility BEFORE someone gets the 'Shingles'.
If a patient already has it - I would say it's 'too late' to give the vaccine. Perhaps a few years later, however, it might be worth giving it to prevent a subsequent attack. A natural infection with shingles is kind of like getting the vaccine - although u have to suffer with the disease! Better to vaccinate

In brief: Zoster vaccine usage

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine