How can I tell if my child is starting to have prediabetes symptoms?

Elaine Peterson
In brief: Diabetic Symptoms
Common symptoms of childhood type 1 diabetes are polyuria, polydipsia, nocturia & recent weight loss.
Children with type 2 diabetes often present with similar symptoms but are less frequent to report weight loss. Some children are asymptomatic & are diagnosed with diabetes based solely on their blood glucose level. Talk with the child's doctor if you are concerned & feel they are at risk.

In brief: Diabetic Symptoms
Elaine Peterson
Elaine Peterson
Answer assisted by Elaine Peterson, Medical Student
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: Drinking/Urinating
Increased thirst and frequent urination are late findings once the blood sugar is increased from normal range.
Knowing your child's growth would help me know if you were thinking about type one or type two. Type one is genetic and is associated with weight loss in a usually already thin child. Type two is caused be eating too much food/sugar over a long period and is found in an obese child.

In brief: Drinking/Urinating
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: Abrupt change
Children develop diabetes after an illness has injured the Insulin producing cells in their body.
Lack of Insulin will cause lots of sugar loss in the urine, (more urinating), rapid loss of weight (2-3 pounds or more a week) while eating like you never feed them.They also drink a lot to keep up. Relatively quickly you know something is wrong and take them in.

In brief: Abrupt change
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Prediabetes
You may find your child starts to wet the bed.
There will be excessive thirst and urination. Check with your pediatrician for specific testing.

In brief: Prediabetes
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Adam Smith