What are my chances of getting breast cancer if no one in my family has it?

Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: Can estimate but ...

The gail model which is available on the nci website is a good way to assess "relative" risk but will not tell you if someone is going to get breast cancer.
The majority of patients diagnosed don't have a family history. The number one risk factor is being female and having breast tissue. This is the reason for population screening via bse, cbe, & mammography.

In brief: Can estimate but ...

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Pardon my spelling on my previous answer. Dr. Canale is correct in that it is the GAIL model.
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology

In brief: The GALE model

If you google the gale model, you can input your age, number of pregnancies, family history etc.
And it will give you the percent chance of you having breast cancer in the next 5 years and your lifetime risk of breast cancer.

In brief: The GALE model

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Sean Canale
The Gail model which is available on the NCI website is a good way to assess "relative" risk but will not tell you if someone is going to get breast cancer. The majority of patients diagnosed don't have a family history. The number one risk factor is being female and having breast tissue. This is the reason for population screening via BSE, CBE, & mammography.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery