My mom has adrenal gland cancer and was taking the drug mitotane; what is it?

Pesticide. Mitotane is a pesticide that can be taken orally. It causes destruction of the adrenal cortex and has been shown to be effective in adrenocortical carcinomas that are not able to be resected surgically.
It is rare. Cure by surgery is some cases, chemotherapy mitotane, ortho-para ddd, a compound related to ddt, and aminogluthamide are used as palliatives. Most tumors produce excess. Coticosteroids, and that produces cushing-like state.