How do I cut my baby's nails?

In brief: Sandpaper
A grandmother showed me this trick decades ago.
I use a simple 1X3 inch piece of heavy duty (wet/dry) sandpaper in 100-180 grit.If you use it free form to file the nails it can do the job in less than a minute on both hands.The paper conforms to the curves better than a file and using it lightly assures you won't injure the skin.

In brief: Sandpaper
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
In brief: Nails
I like to use either a safety scissor or file.
I have several parents a year who use the clipper and accidentally get the skin, which is a highly vascularized area which can bleed easily. The parent usually feels pretty awful, so i don't like the clipper.

In brief: Nails
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: How many weeks?
The first several months of life babies nails are so soft that you can carefully simply "peel them off" with your fingers.
After they harden, take the soft edge of a nail file and gently file until they feel smooth to the touch. Don't forget about trying "socks on hands" during naps and bedtime, that works great to keep the little ones from scratching their little faces accidentally! Congrats!

In brief: How many weeks?
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Shalini Sethi
In brief: Filing is best
File baby nails ,

In brief: Filing is best
File baby nails ,
Dr. Shalini Sethi
Dr. Shalini Sethi
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Carefully!
:).

In brief: Carefully!
:).
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Paul Trani
In brief: File them
I recommend neither cutting baby's nails, no matter how sharp they might be, nor using gloves over their hands.
Cutting those tiny nails can be hazardous; it's easy to snip part of a finger off. And putting gloves on their hands limits the information that they can get from the outside world - would you put a mask over their eyes? Instead, get a cardboard file (emory board) - it works just fine.

In brief: File them
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: Nail trimmer or file
You can use baby nail clippers or you can file the baby's nails.
The nails in infants are very small and thin and file right off with an emery board.

In brief: Nail trimmer or file
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
In brief: Easier to File them
Infants' nails grow fast, and need to be trimmed at least a few times per week to prevent them from scratching themselves.
Cutting an infant's nail is not as easy as it looks and occasionally a parent might nick the tip of the finger. Filing the nails with an emory board (they make infant ones) is much easier to perform and without the risk of cutting the finger.

In brief: Easier to File them
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Carefully!!
If one parent does nail mantainance while the other is feeding the baby, this when the baby will be most relaxed.
Use either a blunt baby scissors or a nail file to file them.

In brief: Carefully!!
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Very very carefully
Avoid trimming a baby's nails unless they are too long, because it is very easy to accidentally cut the skin that is attached under the nail!

In brief: Very very carefully