I recently had a pap, and my results came back abnormal but I think this is based on me starting my period that day. Should they repeat a pap first?

Dr. Alysia Townsend

In brief: No

The pap tests done today are usually not affected by the presence of blood.
If there is too much blood, they cannot be interpreted, it does not typically lead to an abnormal result. I recommend you follow up with your doctor and have him/her address your questions and concerns regarding further evaluation of your abnormal pap test.

In brief: No

Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: No

If it was affected by your period they would have said so.
They look at the cells under a miscroscope and if the cervical cells were blocked by blood cells there would be no results. Go along with the plan your doctor explained to you.

In brief: No

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Adam Levy