Otc teeth whitening gels are painful. Can I brush my sensitive teeth with just straight baking soda and hydrogen peroxide?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Need guidance

You need professional guidance.
First must determine reason for sensitivity and have addressed. Then follow your dentist's tooth whitening recommendations. Otc products are less effective than in-office guided therapies, and in the long run about the same cost.

In brief: Need guidance

You need professional guidance.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No, use fluoride

No, you should use a densensitizing toothpaste or a Fluoride rinse to help reduce the sensitivity from whitening your teeth.
Refrain from using the gel until the discomfort goes away. Talk to your dentist about the gel and what he recommends.

In brief: No, use fluoride

Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry

In brief: Bleaching

Before using any whitening product get a full dental exam checking teeth, gums with dental x-rays to rule out decay.
Your dentist can suggest the best whitening option for you. Chronic use of peroxide products orally is not good.

In brief: Bleaching

Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Reid Winick
Dentistry

Yes, but if gums look white after brushing, use less hydrogen peroxide.
Oh, it will not whiten your teeth like the other products say they o.

Dr. Reid Winick
Dr. Reid Winick
Dr. Ronda Alexander
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Old school

Both of these are great ways to clean the teeth so long as you have good brushing technique.
Start with a good professional cleaning at a dental professional then follow with soft brushing of adequate duration and gentle daily flossing.

In brief: Old school

Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dentistry

In brief: No

First you must not use that product again for now .
The hydrogen peroxide, will continue to irritate the sensitive areas. The best remedy at this time is mi paste to repair open areas with recalcification. Also check your ph of your saliva over the next five days with a home test. Chronically acidic acid mouth will prevent rapid repair. You can contact our office at dentalhealthcolorado.Com.

In brief: No

Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dr. David Schleimer
How do you in the long term change the pH of your patients' saliva? This is not a "snide" question, I, after 30 years of practice do not know how do do this long term. Have I missed an essential part of parotid, sublingual and submandibular physiology and biochemistry? Testing I understand, lifelong salivary chemistry changes I do not.
Dr. Kevin Considine

Although not as strong baking soda and peroxide are fine for use as a dental whitener as well as a cleanser.

Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Jonathan Jassey