I am 45 years old and have osteoarthritis, how will this affect my ability to walk in an older age?

Dr. Robert Levine
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Who Knows
Cannot predict. Iit depends on the joints involved and the severity of your symptoms.
And the big unknown - is what will be available 10 or 20 years to decrease oa pain and improve function. Currently with joint replacements many are able walk very well, and, results keep improving. Also with other evolving techniques it may be possible for you to grow new cartilage. Only time will tell.

In brief: Who Knows
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Walker Wynkoop
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It Depends...
Arthritis: where and what type? "wear and tear" or "osteoarthritis" in the knees is the most common to affect walking.
But I have patients that walk long distances with even severe osteoarthritis. I know farmers that had osteoarthritis at 45 and just kept on going into their their 80's. Most people will get their knees replaced and walking is a great exercise to do for decades after that surgery.

In brief: It Depends...
Dr. Walker Wynkoop
Dr. Walker Wynkoop
Dr. Marsha Davis