I am 57 female, have aortic stenosis and bicuspid valve. Does the bicuspid valve complicate my surgery. Will my recovery be longer because of it?

Dr. Marco Paliotta
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: No it won't.
I am assuming you will have an aortic valve replacement.
A bicuspid aortic valve is fairly common and you've had since birth. The valve can become stenotic over time and at the time of replacement, the leaflets will be removed. If you don't need to have your blood thinned for other reasons, i would recommend a tissue valve. Having a bicuspid aortic valve would not prolong your recovery.

In brief: No it won't.
Dr. Marco Paliotta
Dr. Marco Paliotta
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Typically no
Most bicuspid valve surgeries proceed fairly typical for aortic valve replacements.
There are some newer valve options which may not be available. Sometimes the ascending aorta is dilated and may need to be addressed but you would know that before surgery. But for the most part they don't take any longer than replacement for a 3 leaflet valve. The recovery should be the same as well.

In brief: Typically no
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Jane Van Dis