Is it safe to lift weights if you got mitral valve prolapse ?

Dr. Marco Paliotta
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: It all depends.
I agree with dr. Harrington and would add that lifting weights with mitral valve prolapse would be allowed, or not, depending on the degree of prolapse.
If the mitral regurge is significant you should think about a lighter activity and consider mitral vale repair after a full evaluation by your cardiologist.

In brief: It all depends.
Dr. Marco Paliotta
Dr. Marco Paliotta
Dr. Tom Harrington
In brief: Mitral valve prolaps
This is an extremely common condition with some people saying it occurs is about 8% of the population.
Most of the time it is of little if any significance. It would be a good idea to check with your doctor about lifting and aerobic exercise that you can do. I suspect the answer will be--go for it.

In brief: Mitral valve prolaps
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine