My dog has kennel cough is it contagious for me or my 2 children? My son is 11 & my daughter is 8........

David Escobar

In brief: No

No, ordinarily the bacteria that classically cause kennel cough do not affect humans.
However, there have been case reports of that bacteria affecting humans who are immuno-compromised. As long as everyone in the household his relatively healthy, i'm afraid only your dog is going to be affected. However, your dog can pass it to other dogs! i hope your pup starts feeling better soon!

In brief: No

David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student

In brief: Kennel cough

Kennel cough is a very contagious upper respiratory infection found in dogs & caused by canine parainfluenza virus & a bacteria called bordetella bronchispeptica.
It is not transmitted to humans.

In brief: Kennel cough

It is not transmitted to humans.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology