I am scheduled for gallbladder removal on monday. Is it truly necessary? My polpy grew from 6.Mm to 9 mm in six months.

Dr. Samir Gupta
Surgery

Gallbladder polyps can act like polyps in other parts of the GI tract.
More than likely this will be benign but because of interval growth i would recommend that it be removed. We used to consider 1.0cm polyps as the absolute indication. Some surgical literature does suggest 8mm be the cutoff. Gallbladder cancer is difficult to treat vs. Removal of a polyp. I would ask your surgeon.

Dr. Samir Gupta
Dr. Samir Gupta
Dr. Elliot Schnur

In brief: Probably

If your polyp grew by 50% in 6 months, that would be a criteria for the removal of your gallbladder. It never hurts to get a second surgical opinion, especially with elective surgery.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Elliot Schnur
Dr. Elliot Schnur
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery