How long will I experience pain after a total abdominal hysterectomy done through the belly?

Dr. Alan Patterson

In brief: Usally about 6 weeks

Most of us do not do very many total abdominal hysterectomies anymore, since I do most of mine either laparoscopically, with the robot or vaginally which cause the patient much less pain.
And I do a lot of endometrial ablations in my office which can stop heavy or prolonged bleeding so my patients do not even need to do a hysterectomy.

In brief: Usally about 6 weeks

Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Michael Hulse
Gynecology

In brief: Varies.

It varies from person to person but typically the worst discomfort is in the first few days to a week.
With the larger abdominal incision you will probably experience pain longer than if A minimally invasive technique were used. Most women are a candidate for a minimal invasive procedure. Hope this helps.

In brief: Varies.

Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham