Are teeth x-rays more radiation than children should get?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Safety

All dentists are well versed in radiation safety.
X-rays are take to visualize areas that can't be seen with the naked eye. While we realize that all radiation is cumulative, dental radiation is minimal. Between birth and adulthood most children receive less radiation from all of their dental x-rays than they would receive from sun exposure during a week's vacation at the beach. Don't worry.

In brief: Safety

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: All

X-rays should be ordered when the value of the imaging is much higher than the risk of exposure.
Also, a lead apron and thyroid neck shieldis appropriate.

In brief: All

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Dental x-rays

Are needed at times for dentists to do their job.
However, they have also been associated with an increased incidence of brain tumors. I always ask my children's dentist if they really need the xray that they are asking for, or if it can wait until next time. See: http://abcnews.Go.Com/health/gmahealth/brain-tumors-dental-rays/story?Id=16101200.

In brief: Dental x-rays

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh