Can heroin cause hyperglycemia?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I am not sure

Representatives from the U.
S. National institutes of health (nih), the american diabetes association (ada), and the juvenile diabetes research foundation (jdrf) report that they are unaware of any such studies on the topic of illicit drug use and blood glucose control.

In brief: I am not sure

Representatives from the U.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Not usually

Heroin is rarely associated with low blood sugars, not high.
It is frequently cut with a variety of sugars, and the cutting agent (mannitol, inositol) can be responsible for raising blood sugar transiently, but a normal pancreas will then produce enough Insulin to get the blood sugar to normal quickly. I am concerned about your question. Heroin is a dangerous and nasty drug. Get help if using.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg