Why do I not have pain in my knee when swimming but always during other sporting activities?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Non-weight bearing.

If you have knee problems, you are not weight bearing on your knees when you swim. Other less weight bearing activities include biking, aqua aerobics, etc.
Activities to avoid: running, tennis, softbal, etc.

In brief: Non-weight bearing.

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Nonimpact

Swimming is non-impact, meaning there is very little load or force going through the knee joint and surrounding structures while in the water. Elliptical would be low-impact, walking medium-impact and jogging/running high-impact.
If you haven't already, it may be time to see a sports doc to obtain help in overcoming this pain.

In brief: Nonimpact

Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine