If you used spit tobacco to quit smoking, then how do you then get off the snuff?

Mutual support helps. You might want to attend a meeting of nicotine anonymous.
Replacement First. Congratulations on ceasing smoking. Many try using snuff to stop smoking, then your question becomes an issue. Here are some ideas: wait as long as possible to put in the snuff, each time should get longer. Try something else, beef jerky, sunflower seeds, peanuts, gum, etc. Eventually if you both options above, you should be able to beat the addiction, both physiologically and psychologically.