What are the side effects of Paxil (paroxetine) used long term ?

Dr. John Moranville
In brief: None
If you are tolerating it and responding to it then there is nothing wrong with being on it indefinitely.
There are no known long term side effects and it has been around for a long time. I usually try to stop it 1-2 years after the first episode. With recurrent episodes i recommend staying on it.

In brief: None
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Steven Reidbord
I agree with Dr M, but as another data point, I'd continue the med 6-12 months for a single lifetime episode, 2-3 years if there have been 2 or more such episodes, and advise ongoing use for those few patients who needed hospitalization for very severe depression, or who reliably relapse whenever treatment stops.