How serious is a heart murmur?

Depends. Most heart murmurs are benign. Functional murmurs are those that relate to turbulent flow through normal valves. Anyone of us can have a murmur. Some murmurs are related to mild or moderate leaking across valves and do not need any immediate attention. However, other murmurs are more serious and related to serious narorwing or leaking of valves. Some relate to holes in heart such as vsd's.
Depends. Roughly 50% of children will have a murmur at some point in their lives -- most will be innocent murmurs, and most will resolve on their own. Worrisome would be a baby who sweats with feeds, isn't gaining weight, or turns blue, or a child who can't keep up with peers. Most pediatricians can tell by listening if murmur is innocent -- if there is uncertainty, s/he can order an echocardiogram.
Depends. A heart murmur is just the description for turbulent blood flow in the heart or its surrounding blood vessels that can be heard with a stethoscope. It does not tell you how serious or benign it is. Many children have a heart murmur at some point in their life, so most are benign and not serious. If your child has a murmur, your pediatrician or a cardiologist should evaluate it.
Depends. Should get checked out by the cardiologist to get an echo, to see if the valves are working properly, and to make sure there are no "holes" in the heart that have to be monitored.
Murmur . The heart murmur reverse the presence of an additional hot sound. Some of them can be innocent as the ones that we see I in some younger children. However heart murmur can also be a reflection of an abnormal problem in the heart. Your cardiologist should be able to differentiate it.
Murmur. A heart murmur. A murmur is just noise. Sometimes serious problems cause a murmur many times a murmur is caused by normal flow. Patients often misctranslate what the dr. Tells them.
Depends. A benign, or functional heart murmur is made by the turbulent flow of blood through the chambers of the heart. They are common in small kids, athletes, and pregnant women. They are benign. Structural, or pathologic heart murmurs are made by a malformation of the heart. As you may guess, they are potentially much more dangerous. See your provider to determine your type of heart murmur.
Variable. Heart murmurs can represent things ranging from harmless like a venous hum to deadly like a hypoplastic left heart. The exact sound of the murmur and other associated findings help us to make the diagnosis and from that to determine the prognosis. Watch http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=uh5u845zz2k.
Normal to serious. A murmur is a type of heart sound the doctor can hear with his stethoscope. Whether nor not a murmur is serious depends on the cause of the sound. If the sound is caused by incorrectly formed arteries, veins, valves, or heart parts, then the problem can be very serious. On the other hand, many normal children have murmurs but no defects (the murmurs are probably just from the flow of the blood).
Depends. Depends on the type of heart murmur. The vast majority of heart murmurs that i pick up turn out to be an innocent heart murmur, which is basically the sound of blood flowing through the heart. Yuo can live till 150 years old with it, and never have to put in a school physical that the child has a heart problem. But murmurs should get checked by a cardiologist, so they can do an echo, to make su.