How do they do a neck mri?

Dr. Thomas Foster
Radiology
In brief: You lie on your back
You will be asked to fill out a questionnaire to determine that there is no metal inside your body.
You will be asked to remove all jewelry, metal and empty your pockets. You will then enter the scanning room, lie flat on your back, and be moved into the scanner aperture. You will need to stay very still for the next 20 minutes. Then it's over!

In brief: You lie on your back
Dr. Thomas Foster
Dr. Thomas Foster
Dr. David Dang
Radiology
In brief: See below
I agree with the above answer. I would also added that if you are claustrophobic, antianxiety medications may be provided to help; you may need a ride home.
To evaluate the neck, a fitting metal cage (called a coil) will be placed around the neck. Depending on the pathology to be evaluated, you may or may not request intravenous contrast/dye injection which may require a small IV line placement.

In brief: See below
Dr. David Dang
Dr. David Dang
Dr. Adam Smith