I am having a lumbar laminectomy- any thoughts or alternatives?

This is done for. Spinal stenosis or a large disc herniation causing predominantly leg pain that has failed non op care including: time, medication, physical therapy and possibly epidural steroid injections. It should not be done for predominantly back pain or in someone with imaging evidence of instability as the sole procedure.
Laminectomy Options. Most lumbar spine procedures are performed to decompress and create more space for the nerves in the spinal canal. A classic laminectomy involves removal of more bone as compared to newer minimally invasive procedures as an interlaminar decompression through a unilateral laminotomy (hole). Depending on the pathology, some disc herniations can be removed with an endoscope through an 8 mm incision.
Yes. You can try physical therapy and injections prior to the laminectomy. If those don't make you better, the lumbar laminectomy is a great procedure with minimal risks and complications while giving great results.