How long does it take to walk by yourself after a laparotomy to remove a large fibroid?

Dr. Miguel Cano
In brief: 10-12 hours
Most laparotomy patients are up & walking after 10-12 hours.
Most do well unassisted and it helps with recovery and helps prevent lung problems, blood clots, and bowel dysfunction. It may take 1-2 weeks before you can walk comfortably without pain meds & 4-6 weeks before you can walk as before without risk of injuring your surgical scar. I hope this helps.

In brief: 10-12 hours
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Hours
Most women can walk by themselves within a few hours of surgery and certainly within a day of surgery.
In fact i would encourage any women who has a laparotomy to walk for several hours the day after surgery.

In brief: Hours
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology